Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pickin' Beans

Week of May 3 through 9

Note that these pictures were taken with the same antique digital camera as those from the previous post, and thus have a distinct smurf-like hue.

This week was another week of astounding growth in our garden. Our bell pepper plants each grew a foot taller and produced tons of little white blossoms. Our tomato plants shot up another foot and are now threatening to poke out of the top of their cages. They have also produced quite a few more yellow flowers, and the fruit on the vine continues to grow larger and more plump.


The tiny beans of the previous week matured so quickly that the weight of the pods started to pull the plants toward the ground. In one week the beans grew from about an inch long to almost six inches long. Totally amazing.


I decided that it was time to pick the larger beans. The Parents told me that if I waited too long to harvest the pods, that they would become tough and stringy. I had hoped that I would be able to wait until The Husband returned from his business trip so that we could cut our first crop together, but I didn't want to risk our beans' deliciousness!

I carefully picked about half of our crop, and left the smaller beans on the bushes to mature for another week. This first harvest yielded 1 pound 6 ounces of yummy, fresh green beans.


After I trimmed the ends from the pods, I blanched the beans in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then immediately transferred them to the freezer. I can't wait for The Husband to come home so that we can enjoy our fresh picked green beans together!

No comments:

Post a Comment